Re: Fix for pg_upgrade's forcing pg_controldata into English

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix for pg_upgrade's forcing pg_controldata into English
Date: 2010-09-01 20:51:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of mi sep 01 16:35:18 -0400 2010:
>> I have implemented your suggestion of setting LANG, LANGUAGE, and
>> LC_MESSAGES based on code in pg_regress.c; that is the only place I see
>> where we force English, and it certainly has received more testing.

> I think a real long-term solution is to have a machine-readable format
> for pg_controldata, perhaps something very simple like

> $ pg_controldata --machine
> PGCONTROL_VERSION_NUMBER=903
> CATALOG_VERSION_NUMBER=201008051
> DATABASE_SYSIDENTIFIER=5504177303240039672
> etc

> This wouldn't be subject to translation and thus much easier to process.

+1. pg_controldata was never written with the idea that its output
would be read by programs. If we're going to start doing that, we
should provide an output format that's suitable, not try to work around
it in the callers.

However, that's something for 9.1 and beyond. Bruce's immediate problem
is what to do in pg_upgrade in 9.0, and there I concur that he should
duplicate what pg_regress is doing.