Re: merging some features from plpgsql2 project

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Subject: Re: merging some features from plpgsql2 project
Date: 2017-01-09 23:33:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/09/2017 06:12 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> With respect to your company developers specifically? I'm genuinely
> curious if you've taken a good look at pl/v8 and why you've determined
> it's not suitable to move forward with. It's got a different set of
> headaches, but is really fast, and sometimes wonder if with some
> alternative preprocessing (like coffeescript but geared towards SQL)
> could have some long term promise.

Yeah, especially if built against a modern V8, with all or most of the
ES6 stuff. Without template strings and lexically scoped variables it's
very unpleasant for large functions, but with them it's usable. It's
also something a very large number of people are familiar with. As you
say it's damn fast.

cheers

andrew

--