Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3
Date: 2001-01-23 22:52:18
Lists: pgsql-general

"Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net> writes:
> No core dump but here is the message from vacuum verbose analyze;

> NOTICE: --Relation pg_rewrite--
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.

Can't tell much from that, except that the backend crashed, which
*should* leave a core dump.

On some platforms (eg, most Linux distros), processes started from
system boot scripts are by default started under "ulimit -c 0", which
prevents core dumps. To get more information about what's happening,
I recommend restarting the postmaster with "ulimit -c unlimited" so that
crashed backends will leave core files. While you're at it, make sure
you are starting the postmaster without -S, and redirect its stdout and
stderr into some convenient logfile. The postmaster log might also
contain useful info about what's going wrong...