Re: contrib features during beta period

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Marc Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib features during beta period
Date: 2002-08-30 15:08:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> On Friday 30 August 2002 09:29 am, Tom Lane wrote:
>> But yeah, in the long run I'd like to see one of these packages become
>> mainstream, just because full-text search is such a widely used feature.

> Agreed. We don't really have guidelines for this process; any idea what was
> the last module moved over like that?

It hasn't happened often, but I recall that the int8 code started life
as a contrib module. Let's see, looking at CVS I see
bit
dateformat
datetime
int8
ip_and_mac
metaphone
sequence
soundex
statmath
unixdate
as contrib subdirectories that aren't there anymore in current sources,
and that I think got merged, not dropped.

> There may be more modules to consider
> -- earthdistance, for instance, which has been with us for a long time.

Actually, that seems to have just disappeared completely. What the heck?
Marc, you're not physically removing stuff from CVS when you move it to
gborg, are you?