Re: FW: Multiple databases question

From: "Schleis, David" <dave(at)mail(dot)slh(dot)wisc(dot)edu>
To: "'Jagaraj, Peter'" <peter(dot)jagaraj(at)gmacrfc(dot)com>, "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: Multiple databases question
Date: 2003-02-13 19:00:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I am not familiar with Python, but it sounds like a good solution. However, if
you're stuck with ODBC I would like to share the following. About a year ago I
began looking into Oracle's Heterogeneous Connectivity (8.1.6) features to
create a database link between Oracle and PostgreSQL. I was able to establish
the link, but all queries returned errors. After investigating the log files I
came to the conclusion that the Oracle ODBC driver was creating SQL statements
that could not be interpreted properly by PostgreSQL because of the inconsistent
use of double-quotes around object names. So, if you are working strictly with
the databases I would suggest trying PostgreSQL+PSQL rather then Oracle+PL/SQL.
Personally, I would use PHP which also "has excellent support for both
PostgreSQL and Oracle connectivity - and it works under just about any
environment."

-- dave

snail: Madison WI 53707-7996
voice: 608.224.6227