Re: strange problem with ip6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: Christian Kratzer <ck(at)cksoft(dot)de>, Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange problem with ip6
Date: 2007-05-17 18:39:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> writes:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 06:42:39PM +0200, Christian Kratzer wrote:
>> of a specific interface. This is why bsd based oprating systems append
>> %ifname to the address so that they know which Interface this address

> Oh, I forgot about that wart in RFC4007. Thanks for the cluestick.

>> There is propbaly not much point in using link local addreses for postgres.

> I think that's not quite right. For instance, JDBC can't use UNIX
> domain sockets last I checked, and I can imagine using it in a
> disconnected context where you'd want to emulate multiple connection
> points. Link local addresses would be perfect for this. So I think
> it might be a bug, because Postgres isn't accepting the address
> specification for scoped addresses. (In the local 8.1.x version I
> have installed here, the inet type doesn't accept it either.) Now
> that I re-read it, RFC4007 seems to be pretty clear that the scope
> info is a necessary part of the addressing, so I don't think it can
> be thrown away before looking at the address.

It seems the correct solution here is to extend the inet type to support
RFC4007 "zone_id" strings. Yech. Not going to happen as a bug fix,
but we should probably put it on the TODO list.

As a temporary workaround, should we hack the server to suppress any
%-foo found in the result of getnameinfo()?