Re: strange problem with ip6

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange problem with ip6
Date: 2007-05-17 19:38:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 02:39:55PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> It seems the correct solution here is to extend the inet type to support
> RFC4007 "zone_id" strings. Yech. Not going to happen as a bug fix,
> but we should probably put it on the TODO list.
>
> As a temporary workaround, should we hack the server to suppress any
> %-foo found in the result of getnameinfo()?

Well, Christian's point about scoped versus global addresses is a
good one, so there might be an argument for leaving it alone, on the
grounds that you ought not to be able to come from there. On the
other hand, since people are tripping over the feature right now,
they obviously _are_ able to come from there. So maybe just hacking
it up is the best answer for the time being. (I'm slightly more
concerned that the inet datatype apparently has this issue too,
because it would seem that it's rejecting perfectly well-formed
input, which is surely bad.)

Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.
--Jane Jacobs