Re: DBD::Pg performance bites compared to DBD::mysql?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBD::Pg performance bites compared to DBD::mysql?
Date: 2005-06-05 04:40:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

>> ... There is no way that a client-side driver should be taking
>> several times longer than the backend to process a SQL command :-(

> What version of DBD::Pg did you test with?

DBD::Pg 1.40, also perl-DBI-1.40 and perl-5.8.5. Greg Mullane
promised he'd take a closer look after he gets done moving to
Florida... in the meantime, I have a self-contained test case
if someone else wants to dig into it.

(Greg indicated that he thought the coding style in the Perl
test script pretty well sucked, which I don't doubt, but the
question remains why we are so much slower than MySQL on the
same code.)