Re: Can't connect (2 dbs) or login (2 others)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Morris Goldstein" <morris(dot)x(dot)goldstein(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't connect (2 dbs) or login (2 others)
Date: 2007-09-23 03:19:44
Lists: pgsql-general

"Morris Goldstein" <morris(dot)x(dot)goldstein(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I looked at the pg_resetxlog documentation and have a question. Here
> is output from pg_resetxlog -n:

[ snipped to just the non-constant numbers ]

> Current log file ID: 0
> Next log file segment: 1
> Latest checkpoint's StartUpID: 12
> Latest checkpoint's NextXID: 536
> Latest checkpoint's NextOID: 17142

Ick. This looks *exactly* like what pg_control would contain
immediately after initdb, in a 7.4 database. I suppose that someone
tried an initdb as a recovery method, without understanding the
consequences.

> Is it safe to run pg_resetxlog without the -l argument?

No, or at least it will not improve your situation. All those numbers
need to be higher, probably a lot higher. See the advice in the
pg_resetxlog man page about deriving reasonable values.