Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Paul Guo <guopa(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
Date: 2021-04-26 13:31:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I took a look at this today, as I committed 39b66a91b back in January. I
can reproduce the issue, with just 1M rows the before/after timings are
roughly 480ms and 620ms on my hardware.

Unfortunately, the v3 patch does not really fix the issue for me. The
timing with it applied is ~610ms so the improvement is only minimal.

I'm not sure what to do about this :-( I don't have any ideas about how
to eliminate this overhead, so the only option I see is reverting the
changes in heap_insert. Unfortunately, that'd mean inserts into TOAST
tables won't be frozen ...

regards

--
Tomas Vondra