Re: Problem with installing the data directory

From: Kristiansen Owe <owe(dot)kristiansen(at)norgit(dot)no>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: schmid(at)ice(dot)mpg(dot)de
Subject: Re: Problem with installing the data directory
Date: 2000-12-20 09:50:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

See the old case from Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:32:44 +0200.
We did not find anything about this on the net, so we put effort in solving
the problem ourself.
We have found a possible reason. Our debian linux distribution had a 6.3...
installation of PostgreSQL. The old binaries was executed instead of the
ones we installed, because the postgreSQL 6.3... binaries was installed in
the /usr/sbin.

When the PostgreSQL 7.0.3 binaries was installed to an other catalog
/usr/local/pgsql/bin, the old binaries was executed when we ran initdb
because the /usr/sbin was in the PATH variable before the
/usr/local/pgsql/bin.

We used dselect to remove the old postgreSQL installation.

Then we deleted the data catalog with the template1 database and ran initdb
again with success.

Now we are up and running with PostgreSQL.

-------------
Owe Kristiansen
Systems Developer
E-mail: owe(dot)kristiansen(at)norgit(dot)no

Hi,

during the completely new installation of PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on my SuSE 6.1
system, I encountered the following error. Any help in explaining to me the
oid8 error will be greatly appreciated.

When entering:

postgresql(at)GEN-24:/opt/postgres > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D
/opt/postgres/data

The following error message appears:

This database system will be initialized with username "postgresql".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on pre-existing data directory /opt/postgres/data
Creating database system directory /opt/postgres/data/base
Creating database XLOG directory /opt/postgres/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /opt/postgres/data/base/template1
ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oid8'.

ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oid8'.

Creating global relations in /opt/postgres/data/base
cp: /usr/lib/pgsql/lib/postmaster.opts.default.sample: No such file or
directory

initdb failed.
Removing /opt/postgres/data.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.11666.

Karl
Dr. Karl Schmid
Department of Genetics and Evolution
Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Ecology
Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 10
D-07745 Jena
Germany

Phone: + 49 3641-643658