Re: pg_read_file() with virtual files returns empty string

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_read_file() with virtual files returns empty string
Date: 2020-07-01 22:22:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The only downside is that the max filesize is reduced to (MaxAllocSize -
> MIN_READ_SIZE - 1) compared to MaxAllocSize with the old method.

Hm, I was expecting that the last successful iteration of
enlargeStringInfo would increase the buffer size to MaxAllocSize,
so that we'd really only be losing one byte (which we can't avoid
if we use stringinfo). But you're right that it's most likely moot
since later manipulations of such a result would risk hitting overflows.

I marked the CF entry as RFC.