Re: Trigger trouble

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sandy Spence" <axs(at)aber(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Rajesh Kumar Mallah'" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trigger trouble
Date: 2007-01-03 16:03:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Sandy Spence" <axs(at)aber(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
> when I run the select query I get the following output,

> ltt=> select * from pg_type where typname='trigger';
> typname | typowner | typlen | typprtlen | typbyval | typtype | typisdefined
> | typdelim | typrelid | typelem | typinput | typoutput
> | typreceive | typsend | typalign | typstorage | typdefault
> ---------+----------+--------+-----------+----------+---------+-------------
> -+----------+----------+---------+----------+----------
> -+------------+---------+----------+------------+------------
> trigger | 0 | 0 | 0 | f | | f
> | | 0 | 0 | - | -
> | - | - | i | p | trigger
> (1 row)

OK, given that column set for pg_type I guess it really is 7.2 ... you
need to think about an update real soon, because there are a whole lot
of known bugs in the version you are running. At the very least you
should get on to the last release of the 7.2 series, which I think was
7.2.8. But we stopped maintaining 7.2.x at all some years ago. If you
were to move to 8.1 or 8.2 you'd find it a whole lot faster and more
stable.

Anyway, what you seem to have here is a "shell type". It's not doing
anything useful --- you can probably just do a "DROP TYPE trigger".
Or you could just ignore the warning; it's pretty harmless.