Re: Documentation improvements for partitioning

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation improvements for partitioning
Date: 2017-04-03 04:52:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 2017/04/01 6:37, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 6:35 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> Attached updated patch.
>
> Committed with editing here and there.  I just left out the thing
> about UNION ALL views, which seemed to brief a treatment to deserve
> its own subsection.  Maybe a longer explanation of that is worthwhile
> or maybe it's not, but that can be a separate patch.

Thanks for committing.

I noticed what looks like a redundant line (or an incomplete sentence) in
the paragraph about multi-column partition keys.  In the following text:

+       partitioning, if desired.  Of course, this will often result in a
larger
+       number of partitions, each of which is individually smaller.
+       criteria.  Using fewer columns may lead to coarser-grained
+       A query accessing the partitioned table will have
+       to scan fewer partitions if the conditions involve some or all of
these

This:

+       criteria.  Using fewer columns may lead to coarser-grained

looks redundant.  But maybe we can keep that sentence by completing it,
which the attached patch does as follows:

+       number of partitions, each of which is individually smaller.  On the
+       other hand, using fewer columns may lead to a coarser-grained
+       partitioning criteria with smaller number of partitions.

The patch also fixes some typos I noticed.

Thanks,
Amit