Re: Logical Replication WIP

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logical Replication WIP
Date: 2016-12-14 00:56:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13/12/16 22:05, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2016-12-13 15:42:17 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I think this is getting very close to the point where it's committable.
>> So if anyone else has major concerns about the whole approach and
>> perhaps the way the new code in 0005 is organized, now would be the time ...
>
> Uh. The whole cache invalidation thing is completely unresolved, and
> that's just the publication patch. I've not looked in detail at later
> patches. So no, I don't think so.

I already have code for that. I'll submit next version once I'll go over
PeterE's review. BTW the relcache thing is not as bad as it seems from
the publication patch because output plugin has to deal with
relcache/publication cache invalidations, it handles most of the updates
correctly. But there was still problem in terms of the write filtering
so the publications still have to reset relcache too.