Re: Conceptual Design Question

From: "Medi Montaseri" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Steve Midgley" <public(at)misuse(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Conceptual Design Question
Date: 2008-06-10 20:11:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

Assuming common semantics for a given field then the question of breaking it
to many parts is also a function of its size as related to I/O.

We know that memory allocation and I/O read/writes are not granular to bytes
and are rather blocks of bytes as it travels from VM (virtual memory) all
the way down to sectors on disk.

Hence a common field of say 2000 bytes will most likely cause multiple I/O
requests where application layer did not have any use for 80% of it, 80%
of the times.

Having said that, 1 Gig of RAM is about $25 at your local Cosco with a free
slice of pizza....performance tuning paradigms are in big time flux and are
really uncle Bob's war stories

cheers