Re: what happend to my database

From: "Medi Montaseri" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Steve Holdoway" <steve(dot)holdoway(at)firetrust(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what happend to my database
Date: 2008-05-29 05:14:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Yes, this type of presumptuous behavior to wipe out a production database
based on a few checks is too risky...

Behavior one:
First out-of-box time, pg_ctl does not find any database files, it tells the
user that "sorry I did not find any database to start....see initdb....
Result: we have a semi-unhappy user/admin that says... what is initdb

Behavior two:
In order to enhance the out-of-box experience, we have wiped out a
production environment, leading to many unhappy staff and customers....

PG developers...I am not impressed at all...

Medi