Re: Moving a simple function to pl/pgsql (Novice question)

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving a simple function to pl/pgsql (Novice question)
Date: 2007-04-04 13:06:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> The purpose being when a row in a table in one database is updated, it
> will copy (or replicate I guess) the record into a different table into
> another database in the same server. (deleting said record first if it
> already exists)
>
> What is the best way to do this within Postgres?

In postgresql, there are two parts to implementing a trigger; the trigger function and the actual
trigger on the table that calls this function.

Here is a good example:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/plpgsql-trigger.html#PLPGSQL-TRIGGER-AUDIT-EXAMPLE

One other point to be aware of, Postgresql does not allow your to reference other databases in the
DB-cluster directly. It is possible but you need to add a contrib module called dblink:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/snapshot/

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.