dynamic results of a PG_Dump or pg_Restore in the list

From: Doug Easterbrook <doug(at)artsman(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dynamic results of a PG_Dump or pg_Restore in the list
Date: 2011-02-16 22:13:26
Lists: pgadmin-support

To Whom it may concern

PgAdmin is fantastic. Lets just star there. Been using it since 8.2 of postgres and it is the tool of choice.

One think I always wanted to ask for as an enhancement is that the backup and restore functions for the database display 'live' results in the log window rather than waiting for the end of the full restore. It's really handy to know where in the process something is, the table being restored, the indexes being created, etc. ... as it happens. it also would give insight to other things on a machine.

I often end up running pg_restore/pg_dump in terminal command line so that I can see the ongoing progress and judge how much time I have left to keep myself occupied doing coding while the restore finishes.

It does it nicely for a vacuum explain, but then I guess that is results coming back from the database itself, so the implementation of the feature might be different.

Doug Easterbrook
Arts Management Systems Ltd.
mailto:doug(at)artsman(dot)com
http://www.artsman.com