Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Date: 2023-05-11 13:54:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02.04.23 19:46, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> OK, I took a stab at this, see the attached 0007 patch which bumps the
> protocol version, and allows the subscriber to specify "sequences" when
> starting the replication, similar to what we do for the two-phase stuff.
>
> The patch essentially adds 'sequences' to the replication start command,
> depending on the server version, but it can be overridden by "sequences"
> subscription option. The patch is pretty small, but I wonder how much
> smarter this should be ...

I think this should actually be much simpler.

All the code needs to do is:

- Raise protocol version (4->5) (Your patch does that.)

- pgoutput_sequence() checks whether the protocol version is >=5 and if
not it raises an error.

- Subscriber uses old protocol if the remote end is an older PG version.
(Your patch does that.)

I don't see the need for the subscriber to toggle sequences explicitly
or anything like that.