Re: Standard REGEX functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Standard REGEX functions
Date: 2022-12-18 23:30:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org> writes:
> I don't suppose project policy would allow us to use an external
> library. I assume there is one out there that implements XQuery regular
> expressions.

Probably, but is it in C and does it have a compatible license?

The bigger picture here is that our track record with use of external
libraries is just terrible: we've outlived the original maintainers'
interest multiple times. (That's how we got to the current situation
with the regex code, for example.) So I'd want to see a pretty darn
vibrant-looking upstream community for any new dependency we adopt.