Re: Make name optional in CREATE STATISTICS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make name optional in CREATE STATISTICS
Date: 2022-07-23 03:54:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> I have just looked at 83011ce, and got what you've done here. You
> have thrown away reindex_target_multitable and added three parts for
> SCHEMA, DATABASE and SYSTEM instead with their own options, enforcing
> the restriction on CONCURRENTLY at the end of REINDEX SYSTEM in the
> parser rather than indexcmds.c.

That does not seem like an improvement. In v15:

regression=# REINDEX SYSTEM CONCURRENTLY db;
ERROR: cannot reindex system catalogs concurrently

As of HEAD:

regression=# REINDEX SYSTEM CONCURRENTLY db;
ERROR: syntax error at or near "CONCURRENTLY"
LINE 1: REINDEX SYSTEM CONCURRENTLY db;
^

That is not a very helpful error, not even if the man page
doesn't show the syntax as legal.