Error starting service on Win2k

From: "Conal Tuohy" <Conal(dot)Tuohy(at)vuw(dot)ac(dot)nz>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error starting service on Win2k
Date: 2004-09-17 02:14:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I have installed 8.0-beta2-dev3 on Win2k but the service will not start.

Firstly, I couldn't install postgresql as a Windows service using the installer - using the installer, I couldn't add postgresql as a Windows service without being a local administrator. However, if I was logged on as a local admin then the service would install but there was an error reported later on saying that the server wouldn't run because I was administrator (don't have a log of that error, sorry).

So I logged on as a regular user and used the installer to install postgresql but NOT as a service. Then I logged on as an admin, created a regular user account and used pg_ctl.exe to install the service under that account. When I start the service the Windows service manager reports that the service failed to start. The Application event log shows the following error (though NB the user account is a regular user, not a "Power User" or "Administrator"):

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PostgreSQL
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0