Re: Maintaining the list of release changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maintaining the list of release changes
Date: 2002-02-08 23:03:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I suppose we all thought that the change wouldn't bite anyone.

I wasn't expecting such vocal complaints, for sure.

> Tom, at the time, did you think it should be mentioned in the release
> notes?

I can't recall if I thought about it in that way. If I had, I would
have said "yes", but I don't recall if I considered the point. I've
always made a habit of writing reasonably detailed commit messages and
then leaving it to you to decide whether a release note is needed.

Part of the point of this discussion, I think, is just to make sure that
committers consider "should there be a release note for this change?"
every time they commit. Thinking about that, and writing down the
appropriate info immediately if a note is needed, are the critical steps.