new serial type

From: Rolf Johansson <rojo(at)nocrew(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: new serial type
Date: 2001-01-13 10:42:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Is there some function to change the serial type to, instead of reading
a next-value, read the maxium value in a column and then add x? If, for
some reason, the sequence is not updated (when I'm doing COPY into a
table), I'll have to recreate the sequence. Instead, it would be much
more simple just to take the max()+x value for a new type of serial type.

/Rolf