Hardware Requirements

From: Vivekanand Joshi <vjoshi(at)zetainteractive(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hardware Requirements
Date: 2014-12-09 18:42:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Team,

We are thinking of shifting our data warehouse solution from Netezza to
PostgreSQL. I am reading a lot about PostgreSQL lately.

Can you please let us know the minimum[overall performance should be good]
hardware requirements for the below mentioned statistics. My question is
actually divided into two parts.

1. What hardware entities[RAM, Storage, Disk, RAID level etc. ]
should we keep in mind while finalizing the requirement? Sorry for my
ignorance here as I am totally new to this territory.

2. What should be the plan of action for performance benchmarking?

3. What should be the minimum hardware requirements for doing a POC
and comparing performance benchmark with Netezza?

*Parameter*

*Numbers on 7th Dec 2014*

Total number of Users

222

Total number of Application Users

110

Individual Accounts

112

Total number of Successful Queries on 7 December

425124

Total number of Unsuccessful Queries

2591

Maximum number of Queries in an *Hour*

79920

Maximum number of Queries in a *minute* when load was maximum in an hour

3143

Maximum number of Queries in a *second* when load was maximum in an hour

87

Number of Databases

82

Used Space

~1057 GB

Allocated Space

~4453 GB

*What I actually want to achieve is right now is that running the same load
on Netezza and PostgreSQL [300 GB data, 20 concurrent queries, and 30k-40K
queries in an hour]. *

I have asked for the following configuration right now.

*Operating System* (Linux 64 bit)

*RAM* : 8 GB

*Storage*: 500 GB

*CPU Cores*: Minimum 4

*RAID*: Level 10

*Disk Type*: SATA

These figures are for POC only.

Does that sound okay? Once again, my trivial questions could be irritating
but this is only a start.

Warm Regards,

Vivekanand Joshi
+919654227927