odd insert problem, textarea \n replaced with <br> gives ^M !

From: Andrew Sykes <andrew(dot)sykes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: odd insert problem, textarea \n replaced with <br> gives ^M !
Date: 2004-10-13 18:00:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hey there,

I'm having a few issues with JDBC; i'm using the JDBC2 driver with
Postgresql 7.3 on Gentoo.

I've got a textarea in a JSP page, and I'm replacing the newline
characters in the box with <br> using a regular expression. When I
output the result of this to the page as a test, everything looks fine
(i.e. <br>'s in the page source).

I pass this String to a method of a bean that does the inserting into
the DB, and it appears to work fine; but when I use pgsql to check, I
see that the <br> bit of the string has been replaced by a number of
highlighted ^M characters.

The database encoding is SQL_ASCII.

Any idea what's going on?