Re: Fwd: 8.3.3 compile fails on Mac OS X 10.5.2

From: "Randall Lucas" <rlucas(at)tercent(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: 8.3.3 compile fails on Mac OS X 10.5.2
Date: 2008-07-02 17:11:18
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Randall Lucas" <rlucas(at)tercent(dot)com> writes:
>> I dug in a bit more. It turns out that the Apple process of
>> transferring my data over from my old box transferred my
>> Fink-installed UNIX apps, including PostgreSQL 8.1.
>
> And the contents of /sw/bin, no doubt?

Yes. Although, I'd been doing UNIX-y things for the past couple weeks
and nothing seemed broken, which makes this problem more pernicious.

> Given that we've never heard the like from anyone else, I think that
> (1) accusations against the upstream gawk maintainers seem misplaced,

Naturally; my incredulity at the brokenness of gawk didn't come
through, I guess ;)

> I believe the most likely theory is that your copy of /sw/bin/awk
> got corrupted during the transfer from your old machine, and the
> second most likely theory is that the executable is bitwise the same
> but it doesn't play nice with the system libraries on your new box,
> and the third is that there was something wrong with that specific
> Fink-port build (though if so, it should have failed on your old
> machine too). In any case it sounds like a very local problem.

I like this last theory best. It is somewhat surprising to me that
more folks haven't hollered about it, given the ubiquity (?) of
upgrades to 10.5 from people who had installed Fink on 10.4.

I will try compiling 8.3.3 (and testing gawk) on my old 10.4 Intel Mac
which was the source of the gawk binary. I'll also report if the
binary is bitwise identical. No reply solicited for that; I just want
to keep it all in the same thread for archival / search engine
purposes.

Thanks again,

Randall