Re: Where **not** to use PostgreSQL?

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where **not** to use PostgreSQL?
Date: 2019-03-04 11:53:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Güttler schrieb am 28.02.2019 um 12:47:
> where would you suggest someone to **not** use PostgreSQL?
>
> Why would you do this?
>
> What alternative would you suggest instead?

Due to the MVCC implementation, I would hesitate to use Postgres in environments that have an extremely high and constant rate of DELETE an UPDATE statements, e.g. several thousands or even tens of thousands transactions per second without any "quiet" times where vacuum could "catch up" clean out dead tuples.

Tuning autovacuum to cope with that is very challenging
(at least until the new UNDO log implementation is ready ;)