Re: System load consideration before spawning parallel workers

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: System load consideration before spawning parallel workers
Date: 2016-09-01 20:10:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/09/16 05:01, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 8/16/16 3:39 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
[...]

>> All of this seems very platform specific, too. You have
>> Windows-specific code, but the rest seems very Linux-specific. The
>> dstat tool I had never heard of before. There is stuff with cgroups,
>> which I don't know how portable they are across different Linux
>> installations. Something about Solaris was mentioned. What about the
>> rest? How can we maintain this in the long term? How do we know that
>> these facilities actually work correctly and not cause mysterious problems?
[...]
I think that we should not hobble pg in Linux, because of limitations of
other O/S's like those from Microsoft!

On the safe side, if a feature has insufficient evidence of working in a
particular O/S, then it should not be default enabled for that O/S.

If a feature is useful in Linux, but not elsewhere: then pg should still
run in the other O/S's but the documentation should reflect that.

Cheers,.
Gavin