Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: "Shashank Tripathi" <shanx(at)shanx(dot)com>
To: "Lukas Kahwe Smith" <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Cc: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-17 17:06:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 17/05/07, Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org> wrote:
> Most people use MySQL because thats what everybody else around them
> uses. They lack the expertise, since they are usually "just" developers.
> So picking the most popular makes the most sense to them. If its popular
> it can't be bad and at least there are plenty of examples, applications
> and people to ask.
>
> I do not see PostgreSQL breaking this cycle. So to me the focus must be
> on making sure that people that do have the expertise have little reason
> to choose MySQL. So make sure that MySQL has no upper hand on features
> (like in charset support).

PostgreSQL should work with Cpanel (WHM) and Plesk without pains. This
is the single most important reason that MySQL is what it is --
because more than half the planet uses these tools to do its hosting.
If PostgreSQL and PhpPgAdmin play well with Cpanel, which they are
both miserable at right now, the market for PG will suddenly go into
multitudes.

Shanx