sorting Chinese varchar field

From: jian chen <chenjian1227(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: sorting Chinese varchar field
Date: 2005-03-28 16:37:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I installed postgres 8.0 for windows on my win xp (Simplified Chinese
version). The encoding is unicode. When I set pgsql client encoding to
gb18030, I could insert Chinese text from the command line to
postgres.

However, I could not get the sort order of Chinese varchar field to
work properly.

What I tried are as follows:

1) installed postgres for windows and used the "C" locale.
2) installed postgres for windows and used the "Chinese, PRC" locale.

Again, in both cases, the backend encoding is unicode.

The other interesting thing I observed was, when setting to the "C"
locale, the following sql worked fine:
select * from user where name = 'xxxxx';
xxxxx is a Chinese text
However, if I set the locale to "Chinese, PRC" during installation,
the above select did not get the any matching rows, where it should
have got. In this case, the following worked fine:
select * from user where name ilike 'xxxxx%';

Could anyone let me know the best practice for using postgres to store
Chinese text? (This should be the same problem I guess, for using
postgres to store other languages than English.)

Thanks a lot,

Jian