Re: pgsql: With gssencmode='require', check credential cache before connect

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: With gssencmode='require', check credential cache before connect
Date: 2024-04-09 05:14:53
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 09/04/2024 04:46, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> Hello.
>
> At Sun, 07 Apr 2024 23:50:08 +0000, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote in
>> With gssencmode='require', check credential cache before connecting
>
> This commit adds the following error message (indentations are adjusted):
>
> + libpq_append_conn_error(conn,
> + "GSSAPI encryption required but it is not supported over a local socket)");
>
> The closing parenthesis at the end of the message seems to be a
> leftover from editing.

Fixed, thanks!

> About the following message:
>
> + libpq_append_conn_error(conn, "could not set ssl alpn extension: %s", err);
>
> I'm not sure about the policy for writing acronyms in lowercase, but
> other occurrences of ALPN (in backend code) seem to be written in
> uppercase.

Changed to uppercase. I also changed "ssl" to uppercase, for consistency
with the "could not set SSL Server Name Indication (SNI)" message earlier.

To be even more consistent, we should perhaps spell out "SSL
Application-Layer Protocol Negotiation (ALPN)", but that's pretty long
and I don't think it really helps the user. It really should not fail,
and there isn't anything the user can really do if that fails. Anyone
who doesn't already know what ALPN is will need to google it anyway.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)