Re: Proposal: Automatic partition creation

From: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Automatic partition creation
Date: 2020-07-13 21:11:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06.07.2020 13:45, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> The previous discussion of automatic partition creation [1] has
> addressed static and dynamic creation of partitions and ended up with
> several syntax proposals.
> In this thread, I want to continue this work.

> [1]
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/alpine.DEB.2.21.1907150711080.22273%40lancre

Syntax proposal v2, that takes into account received feedback.

I compared the syntax of other databases. You can find an overview here
[1]. It
seems that there is no industry standard, so every DBMS has its own
implementation. I decided to rely on a Greenplum syntax, as the most
similar to
the original PostgreSQL syntax.

New proposal is:

CREATE TABLE numbers(int number)
PARTITION BY partition_method (list_of_columns)
USING (partition_desc)

where partition_desc is:

MODULUS n
| VALUES IN (value_list), [DEFAULT PARTITION part_name]
| START ([datatype] 'start_value')
END ([datatype] 'end_value')
EVERY (partition_step), [DEFAULT PARTITION part_name]

where partition_step is:
[datatype] [number | INTERVAL] 'interval_value'

example:

CREATE TABLE years(int year)
PARTITION BY RANGE (year)
USING
(START (2006) END (2016) EVERY (1),
DEFAULT PARTITION other_years);

It is less wordy than the previous version. It uses a free keyword option
style. It covers static partitioning for all methods, default partition for
list and range methods, and can be extended to implement dynamic
partitioning
for range partitions.

[1]
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Declarative_partitioning_improvements#Other_DBMS