Re: grouping/clustering query

From: "David Garamond" <davidgaramond(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tony Wasson" <ajwasson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Steve Midgley" <science(at)misuse(dot)org>, Joe <dev(at)freedomcircle(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: grouping/clustering query
Date: 2008-10-25 01:50:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tony, Joe, Steve,

Thanks for the follow-ups. Yes, the problem is related to double-entry
accounting, where one needs to balance total debit and credit
(payments and invoices) in each journal/transaction.

Due to time constraint, I ended up doing this in the client-side
programming language, since I am nowhere near fluent in PLs. The
algorithm should be simple (at least the "brute force" version), it's
basically checking if each element of the pair (txid, invoiceid) is
already mentioned in some journal and if it is, add the pair to the
journal, otherwise create a new journal with that pair as the first
entry. I believe this can easily be implemented in a PL. But still I
wonder if there is some SQL incantation that can do the same without
any PL.

Regards,
dave