Re: Oracle and Postgresql

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Postgres General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date: 2008-09-15 14:31:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

David,

> > protection of database code, etc.
>
> Are you saying that the fact that the source isn't legally available
> to the population at large is a feature? If you are, it's an argument
> for security by obscurity, a system with a lot of deep known flaws.

That would be more the "Oracle stored procedures can be encrypted." Which is
an argument for ISVs, as they can easier force their customers to pay
"software maintainance".

With open code, clients could buy support from others, who may be cheaper
or, even more dangerous, more qualified.

As long as the disease of "Intellectual property" is running around, that "I
can encrypt my code" will provide some felt benefit for PHBs....

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare