measuring shared memory usage on Windows

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: measuring shared memory usage on Windows
Date: 2006-10-16 09:15:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

Shridhar Daithankar and Josh Berkus write on
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

shared_memory

"""
There is one way to decide what is best for you. Set a high value of
this parameter and run the database for typical usage. Watch usage of
shared memory using ipcs or similar tools. A recommended figure would
be between 1.2 to 2 times peak shared memory usage.
"""

I tried to find a way to do this on windows. Scanning all the lines of
perfmon memory options, I could not see anithing like "shared memory
usage".

Googling for "shared memory usage" just drove me to some ancient WRONG
information that PostgreSQL is not possible on Windows because of
lacking shared memory. (guess that was for Windows 95 or similiar)

So: has anybody a hint how I can check how much shared_memory is
really used by PostgreSQL on Windows, to fine tune this parameter?

I learned the hard way that just rising it can lead to a hard
performance loss :)

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa