hacking on Beta 1.6 - scratch pad is dangerous :)

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: hacking on Beta 1.6 - scratch pad is dangerous :)
Date: 2006-09-15 08:49:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

I am sooo impressed with this new release! And that scratch pad is a really
helpfull addition, I fell in love with it.

BUT... that is a dangerous love, I learned.

What happened?

I constructed a fine query:

select md5(array_to_string(array( select md5(id_pkl||id_label || id_lg ||
name_l||letztespeicherung) from otlabel where quarant=0 ),''))

ran it, got a checksum for a WHOLE table (I was sooo proud of myself :) ...

and copied it to the scratch pad.

Then, I wanted to test if this checksum really changes when changes are made
to the table ... , so I changed the query:

select md5(array_to_string(array( select md5(id_pkl||id_label || id_lg ||
name_l||letztespeicherung||'pgadmin is great') from otlabel where quarant=0
),''))

and pressed F5. Quickly, the interface blinked, and --- the result stayed
the same! Wuha?

I changed the query more and more, nearly panicked ...

and then learned: hey, I was pressing F5 with focus on the scratch pad.
NOTHING was done to my query result :( Of course not --- it's just a scratch
pad.

So I propose a small change: as you allready capture F5 and F7 within the
scratch pad, at least give a dialog saying something along "ha-ha! nothing
happens in the scratch pad"

I burned my fingers and learned. Please save others from burning :)

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare