pg_dump --data-only: is dump ordered to keep foreign-key-relations loadable?

From: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump --data-only: is dump ordered to keep foreign-key-relations loadable?
Date: 2005-11-24 19:30:30
Lists: pgsql-general

I migrated one database from 8.0 to 8.1

That I used to do add "without oids" to all tables.

First step so:

pg_dump --schema-only -U user database

the file was edited, all tables to "withoud oids"; and reloaded in 8.1

After that I

pg_dump --data-only -U user database

and tried to reload the data. But it fails on foreign keys: depending tables
are being dumped before the tables they depend on.

I solved it by manually dumping the relevant tables and reloading them,

Now I cannot find documentation
- if pg_dump is supposed to produce a "ordered dump" so that not doing is a
bug and I need to present a showcase
- or if it is simply not implemented and an enhancement request;
- or if it is even on a theoretical basis impossible to derive the correct
order. [circular foreign keys came to my mind]

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuasion python postgresql