Re: PgSQL and integration between 2 PHP programs and a Java program

From: "Servers24 Network" <servers24(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgSQL and integration between 2 PHP programs and a Java program
Date: 2006-11-11 11:22:39
Lists: pgsql-php

Juan,

Well in the case of using PgSQL for all my application I will have to
rewrite a lot of codes, so I think it's much better to use their native
MySQL databases instead.
Also it seems to me that DBI-Link can not do what I want, as it seems, it
updates ALL the fields of table in remotre database & not just the changed
fields. If this is true, it will rewrite some user setting that is specific
for an application that was previously updated by the application itself. So
this way it will cause a roll back to these settings that user is made
in a specific application. Although I'm not sure about this, I will ask it
in their mailing list to see if it only updates the fields I want, or all
the fields..
Anyhow, after all, I can go ahead with a simple transaction code in Liferay
that triggers a series of connections to different MySQL DBs, update special
user information tables and then close connections. Also I can use LOCK
table method to lock the tables that Liferay is writing to, so that other
applications can not write to the same table at that moment & show a
"temporary out of service" message to the user. Although this will not
occure much, as this incidence is very rare to happen.
Also I should ask about a feature in MySQL. Is it possible to LOCK a row in
a table in MySQL? I mean for e.g if I lock the table "members" , then no
member related functions can be done by ANY of my members. But if for
example, I can LOCK the 1st row only that contains the data about my first
user, then his account information will be updated and meanwhile others can
use the system with no problem.
I'm not that familiar with this LOCK method. If anyone can help me and show
me how to use it, I will appreciate.

--

Warm Regards,
Amir