Re: [PROPOSAL]a new data type 'bytea' for ECPG

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Matsumura, Ryo" <matsumura(dot)ryo(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL]a new data type 'bytea' for ECPG
Date: 2019-02-12 14:06:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Matsumura-san,

> I try to explain as follows. I would like to receive your comment.

I'm afraid I don't really understand your explanation. Why is handling
a bytea so different from handling a varchar? I can see some
differences due to its binary nature, but I do not understand why it
needs so much special handling for stuff like its length? There is a
length field in the structure but instead of using it the data field is
used to store both, the length and the data. What am I missing?

Please keep in mind that I did not write the descriptor code, so I may
very well not see the obvious.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes