Re: ICU for global collation

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Julien Rouhaud" <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pgsql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ICU for global collation
Date: 2022-01-10 14:45:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> > The lack of these fields overall suggest the idea that when CREATE
> > DATABASE is called with a global ICU collation, what if it somehow
> > inserted the collation into pg_collation in the new database?
> > Then pg_database would just store the collation oid and no other
> > collation-related field would need to be added into it, now
> > or in the future.
>
> I don't think it would be doable given the single-database-per-backend
> restriction.

By that I understand that CREATE DATABASE is limited to copying a template
database and then not write anything into it beyond that, as it's
not even connected to it.
I guess there's still the possibility of requiring that the ICU db-wide
collation of the new database does exist in the template database,
and then the CREATE DATABASE would refer to that collation instead of
an independent locale string.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité