Re: Expand the use of check_canonical_path() for more GUCs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Expand the use of check_canonical_path() for more GUCs
Date: 2020-05-20 08:05:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-05-20 09:13, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 01:02:12PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> That thread didn't resolve why check_canonical_path() is necessary there.
>> Maybe the existing uses could be removed?
>
> This would impact log_directory, external_pid_file,
> stats_temp_directory, where it is still useful to show to the user
> cleaned up names, no? See for example 2594cf0.

I don't understand why we need to alter the file names specified by the
user. They presumably wrote them that way for a reason and they
probably like them that way.

There are specific situations where we need to do that to know whether a
path is in the data directory or the same as some other one etc. But
unless there is a reason like that, I think we should just leave them.