Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Laurenz Albe" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>,"Everaldo Canuto" <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>,"Chapman Flack" <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>,"Vik Fearing" <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,"Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>,"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>,"Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2018-02-01 11:01:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> One open issue is the existing help display is inaccurate on Windows:
>
> Use \\? for help or press control-C to clear the input buffer.

! #ifndef WIN32
! puts(_("Use control-D to quit."));
! #else
! puts(_("Use control-C to quit."));
! #endif

But Control-C exiting on Windows is a bug, isn't it?
Shouldn't we try to fix it to behave like in Unix
rather than documenting it?

Also, the fact that Control-D can quit in the middle of a
multiline query without any confirmation is a usability problem, because
you can always fat-finger a Ctrl+key. By comparison, bash doesn't
accept it and emits the same error as if a script was improperly
terminated. Example:

$ cat '
> [Hit Ctrl+D here] bash: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
bash: syntax error: unexpected end of file
$

There's also the issue that, in general, communicating different hints
and advice depending on the host operating system is not ideal.
Because people ask "how do I do such and such in psql?",
they do not ask "how do I do such and such in psql in Windows?".

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite