Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial
Date: 2020-11-01 15:38:43
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 30.10.20 17:45, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I applied 0009-architecture-vs-master.patch to head
> and went through architecture.sgml (only that file),
> then produced the attached .diff
>

> And I wrote down some separate items:
>
> 1.
> 'Two Phase Locking' and 'TPL' should be, I think,
> 'Two-Phase Commit'. Please someone confirm.
> (no changes made)
>
> 2.
> To compare xid to sequence because they similarly 'count up' seems a
> bad idea.
> (I don't think it's always true in the case of sequences)
> (no changes made)
>
> 3.
> 'accesses' seems a somewhat strange word most of the time just
> 'access' may be better.  Not sure - native speaker wanted. (no changes
> made)
>
> 4.
> 'heap', in postgres, means often (always?) files. But more generally,
> the meaning is more associated with memory.  Therefore it would be
> good I think to explicitly use 'heap file' at least in the beginning
> once to make clear that heap implies 'safely written away to disk'.
> Again, I'm not quite sure if my understanding is correct - I have made
> no changes in this regard.
>

> Erik Rijkers

All suggestions so far are summarized in the attached patch with the
following exceptions:

- 'Two Phase Locking' is the intended term.

- Not adopted:

     Second, the transfer of dirty buffers from Shared Memory to
     files must take place. This is the primary task of the
-    Background Writer process. Because I/O activities can block
+    Checkpointer process. Because I/O activities can block
     other processes, it starts periodically and

Partly adopted:

-    the data in the old version of the row does not change! ...

-    before. Nothing is thrown away so far! Only <literal>xmax</literal> ...

--

J. Purtz

Attachment Content-Type Size
0010-architecture-vs-master.patch text/x-patch 223.9 KB
0010-architecture-vs-0009.patch text/x-patch 44.0 KB