Re: Optimizing a VIEW

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Rodrigo E(dot) De León Plicet" <rdeleonp(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Madison Kelly" <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimizing a VIEW
Date: 2008-08-20 16:49:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Aug 16, 2008, at 9:19 PM, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> For you very specific case, I recommend you check out contrib/hstore:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/hstore.html
>

> Awesome!!!! Any comments on the performance of hstore?

I've looked at it but haven't actually used it. One thing I wish it
did was to keep a catalog somewhere of the "names" that it's seen so
that it wasn't storing them as in-line text. If you have even
moderate-length names and are storing small values you quickly end up
wasting a ton of space.

BTW, now that you can build arrays of composite types, that might be
an easy way to deal with this stuff. Create a composite type of
(name_id, value) and store that in an array.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org