calling nextval function

From: "Gosling, Oliver" <o(dot)gosling(at)lancaster(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: calling nextval function
Date: 2004-12-06 15:11:15
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Does anybody know how to get the next value of a sequence?

I'm presuming that nextval is an SQL procedure in postgres which can be
called by passing the name of the sequence as a parameter. The code
below shows what I've done in VB. This does not work however - JET
throws up an error saying that 'nextval' table or query cannot be found.

Dim objCmd As New ADODB.Command

Dim objPrm As ADODB.Parameter

objCmd.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection

objCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

objCmd.CommandText = "nextval"

Set objPrm = objCmd.CreateParameter("@name", adBSTR, adParamInput, ,
"bed_id_seq")