Re: pgAccess v. Access2000

From: "Michael Ansley (UK)" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec-telecom-systems(dot)com>
To: "'jim davis'" <jdavis(at)amphi(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAccess v. Access2000
Date: 2001-12-17 11:32:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged and/or copyright
material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its affiliated companies). If you are not an
intended or authorised recipient of this e-mail or have received it in error, please delete
it immediately and notify the sender by e-mail. In such a case, reading, reproducing,
printing or further dissemination of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Intec Telecom Systems PLC. does not represent or warrant that an attachment hereto is free
from computer viruses or other defects. The opinions expressed in this e-mail and any
attachments may be those of the author and are not necessarily those of Intec Telecom
Systems PLC.

Part of the problem here is that Access allows you to update
resultsets from queries that are not normally updatable (in other
database systems). If Access thinks it can perform a join because it
has the primary key and all required fields available, it will allow
updates, even where most real databases wouldn't. Part of the reason
for this is that the metadata is quite close to the client, and
therefore the performance overhead of doing this is not that great.
And Access also keeps a load of metadata, so it should be able to
provide that type of functionality. It also assumes a single user,
so even though it's possible to do multi-user access in Access, it is
not optimised for it, and this is one of the ways that it is not
optimised. The main problem with updating resultsets from queries
(other than the dead simple ones) is that the update logic becomes
quite complex without the use of certain assumptions, ones that the
MS designers made in the interests of expediency, but ones which
RDBMS designers would not choose, in the interests of scalability and
robustness (neither of which were considerations, apparently, when
Access was built).

So, some queries (not all, certainly) that would be updatable in
Access you will find are not updatable using other databases. You
need to write functions/procedures/update queries for these cases.

Have fun...

MikeA