Re: DBMS Engines and Performance

From: "Mikael Carneholm" <Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)WirelessCar(dot)com>
To: "Rich Shepard" <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DBMS Engines and Performance
Date: 2007-01-31 08:57:21
Lists: pgsql-general

> However, what puzzles me is this statement: "PostgreSQL has
continued
> fall behind other database engines in both performance and features,
so I
> don't see compelling reason to work on it in my very limited free
time."

http://pda.tweakers.net/?reviews/649
http://pda.tweakers.net/?reviews/661
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?25,93181,93181
http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20051219/000637.htm
http://mailman.fastxs.net/pipermail/dbmail/2006-December/010754.html

I'm tired of teenage 1337 skill0rz PHP hackers who go "whoaah, 0ms!"
after running "select count(*) from forum_posts" in a single thread (the
developer himself testing his app), and then claim "MySQL rocks! I
tested the postgres 7.1 that came with <insert linux distro of choice
here>, but it was twice as slow!!!! Postgres sucks!"

Ask them what they know about concurrency: transaction isolation level,
MVCC vs. locking, and how they do when they test OLTP performance in
highly concurrent scenarios, and I'm sure you'll get a "huh?" as an
answer.

Kids...

Mikael Carneholm
Systems Engineer