Block Read Error: Success?

From: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tf(at)o(dot)ptimized(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Block Read Error: Success?
Date: 2008-02-13 21:21:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

A few days ago, we began seeing this error in our logs:

ERROR: could not read block [redacted] of relation [redacted]: Success

I've encountered "could not read block" errors in other databases in
the past, but have never witnessed the "Success" tag at the end. What
does that mean?

The error went unnoticed until, ultimately, significant parts of a
database-driven website were not able to be read. Backups had been
collected for days using pg_dump (which is configured to output SQL),
and we were able to restore from a backup created earlier on the day
that the content became unavailable. After restoration from backup,
we haven't seen the errors again.

We're running 8.0.13 on FC3. Is there any reason not to suspect the
hardware at this point?

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

optimizing modern web applications
: for search engines, for usability, and for performance :

http://o.ptimized.com/
615-260-0005